Post-Automobile Accident – Who Will Pay my Bills? Part 1

Post-Automobile Accident – Who Will Pay my Bills? Part 1


With many of our automobile accident clients, we are asked who will pay for the medical expenses while treating? Why should I pay the copay? If I have and use health insurance, why would I have to pay them back since I am paying the premiums? 


In the state of Georgia all drivers are required to have liability insurance of $25,000 per person and up to $50,000 per accident, more commonly expressed as $25/$50. Georgia also offers a couple of other beneficial insurances that are not state mandated for drivers, such as under or uninsured motorist (UM) coverage and medical payments coverage (med-pay) and are well worth the small increase in monthly premiums. 


First UM, for example, takes affect if a Georgia driver is in a collision with an at-fault driver that only has the state minimum in insurance of $25,000 and your medical care exceeds the available liability insurance. Then your attorney would seek recovery from your automobile insurance company through Underinsured or Uninsured Motorist Coverage. It is a common misconception that if you are forced to use your own coverage that your rates will increase and that is not true. You pay for insurance to kick in in these types of situations, so if you need to use your own insurance do not hesitate.


The only downside is that you will not see a dime from Under/Uninsured Motorist Coverage or the liability carrier until you’ve completed treatment and your attorney has settled your claim or after a trial. In the meantime, how can you afford to continue medical treatment? Please stay tuned to learn more!


If you have been in a personal injury accident, call 706-353-7722 for a free consultation with an experienced attorney, Joseph E. Lariscy. Mr. Lariscy has been practicing in the greater Athens area for more than 30 years and he fights to get the best settlement for your case.