It is important for drivers to understand that if you plan on consuming alcohol, you should always establish a plan for getting a safe ride home. Here is a list of easy, affordable ways to get home and avoid a DUI.
1. Establish a designated driver in your group: This is one of the easiest measures to take since it is free and reliable. Before going out, you should establish a designated driver with your group of friends and make sure that they are committed to remaining completely sober. It is important that this person has enough room in their car for the whole group and that they are not planning on having anything to drink at any point.
2. Call a Cab: It is always a good idea to have the phone numbers for a few local cab companies handy so that you are prepared to call when available cabs in the area may be full. Understand that some hours are particularly busy for cab companies so you should be prepared to wait if there is high demand.
3. Download apps like Uber or Lyft: A great alternative to calling cab companies is downloading apps like Uber and Lyft that can locate you through your cell phone’s GPS and pick you up. It is a great way to get a ride if you do not have any cash on hand since these apps run completely through credit or debit cards. You should be aware of the surge charges that may occur during hours when these rides are high in demand but more importantly keep in mind these charges are far less than the cost of a DUI.
4. Research local safe ride options: many cities have local options for safe rides that you may not know about without doing some research. For example, the city of Atlanta has SafeRide, which is a program that sends a driver to you and drives you and your vehicle back home. Another great program implemented at the University of Georgia is called Designated DAWGS, and is available to those who are downtown and are in need of a ride. Designated DAWGS places you on a waitlist and a driver will pick you up and drop you off at your destination for free.
5. Call a parent or friend: This is a simple solution that many people who get a DUI wish they had done in retrospect. You should have a couple of reliable friends that you can call for assistance when looking for a ride that you can rely on to come pick you up or help find you a solution. Although it may be at an inconvenient time of the night, it is important to keep in mind the dangers and costs of driving under the influence and how easily it can be avoided.
It’s important to consult an attorney regarding your case when handling these kinds of charges. If you have been arrested for an alcohol offense in or around Athens, GA, attorney Joseph Lariscy can help. For a free consultation call (706) 389-4375 or contact us online for legal assistance.