Sounds easy right? But if you’ve never had to use an attorney before, it can seem like a daunting task. In this article, we’ll go over some basic tips to follow in your search. These tips can vary depending on the type of attorney you are looking for, but it can be in your best interest to follow these guidelines.
1. Start by looking at your local bar association. This is a much easier way to start a search, and you can ensure that your attorney practices in your area of need. Typically, this list will also tell you what areas the attorneys practice in.
2. Google them. It’s the best way to look at personal reviews and to make sure they haven’t been involved in a scandal. Also, it can be to your advantage to hire someone in the area you are requesting assistance. The farther the drive for an attorney to go to court, the more they charge.
3. How long have they been practicing? Experience is always a plus when hiring an attorney. You want someone who knows the ropes, and in a criminal defense case, has worked with the judges and prosecutor’s on a regular basis.
4. Ask around. Ask friends or family members if they know or have used anyone in the past that they would recommend. In the same way, they may be able to tell you if they wouldn’t recommend someone.
5. Set up multiple consultations. Talk to several attorneys to discuss your problem. This will give you a feel for what can happen, and you can sit down and meet with them. You need to be comfortable with this person.
6. Ask about billing. Do they bill by the hour? Is it a flat fee? While it can be tempting to always go for the “cheapest” attorney, you need to be sure that you are getting a quality lawyer who has your best interests in mind.
7. Are they organized? Did someone answer the phone when you called? If you sent an email, how quickly did they respond? You want someone who will keep you informed of what is going on throughout your entire case.
8. Don’t wait until the last minute. Attorney calendars fill up very quickly, and you need to get help before the last minute. Waiting too long can put you in a bad situation.
Attorney Joseph Lariscy has a practice in Athens, GA and practices criminal and personal injury law. For a free consultation call (706)389-4375 or contact us online for legal assistance.